the Twarchive

This is a record of a twitter thread, originally posted in 2021

Thew
@AmazingThew

Ryza 2 opening movie appears to show you all of the party members, which I guess is technically less of a spoiler than Ryza 1's opening, which literally showed you the room where you fight the final boss

Thew
@AmazingThew

HOLY SHIT

Thew
@AmazingThew

*guy from Koei Tecmo on the E3 stage in front of thousands of screaming fans* SEE THAT FENCE?? YOU CAN JUMP OVER IT

Thew
@AmazingThew

(joke explanation: Atelier Ryza had a jump button but you couldn't jump over ANYTHING. It was like they took the navmesh and just extruded walls straight up from the edges lol

it was like playing final fantasy VII but with a button that played a jump animation)

Thew
@AmazingThew

oh rad it's melia antiqua

Thew
@AmazingThew

I mean, okay, being careful around monsters is prudent I guess, but like.......... ryza blew up a god earlier

Thew
@AmazingThew

there are lots of alchemists and Ryza can construct literally any conceivable object by boiling a pot of rocks but also no one has ever heard of alchemy

Thew
@AmazingThew

The first game was like this too; alchemy isn't some kind of well-kept secret or anything; people are just like "Oh, you can transgress all laws of reality using a large pot? How remarkable!"

it rules

Thew
@AmazingThew

lmao

Thew
@AmazingThew

The Same Guy

Thew
@AmazingThew

oh hell yeah

can't wait to spend multiple days pondering the implications of whatever this means exactly

Thew
@AmazingThew

I've been really wondering where the designers are planning to go here because it gives you access to most of the endgame mechanics from the first game SUPER early

which means they've clearly got, like, whole new dimensions of tricks for the later parts of this game right

Thew
@AmazingThew

It's a very weird experience because like, I spent the entire first game just slowly developing an understanding of how to do cool stuff with the alchemy systems

This game didn't change the systems much, and also doesn't gate much, so I've just been insanely OP from the start

Thew
@AmazingThew

I dunno if there's gonna be a difficulty spike now that I've started getting access to new systems, or if it'll be like the first game where Ryza is just an infinitely destructive Goddess of Bombs and the only actual challenge is like three optional superbosses lol

Thew
@AmazingThew

*word's cheeriest anime girl* 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐀𝐋 𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐕𝐄

Thew
@AmazingThew

tfw

Thew
@AmazingThew

kinda wondering if I should raise the difficulty setting to Hard lol

I mean I don't play JRGPs for the Challenge or anything, but at this point Ryza can one-shot virtually every enemy I encounter, and all her gear's super old

like I could easily double her DPS if I wanted lol

Thew
@AmazingThew

the combat system's super cool and has all these rad mechanics around switching characters mid-attack and stuff, and I never see any of it because ryza just tosses a bomb and kills everything lmao

Thew
@AmazingThew

remember two tweets ago when I said I could probably double ryza's DPS well I just made her a bomb that does 20x the damage of her previous bomb

Thew
@AmazingThew

when all three party members attack

->

when ryza uses the bomb I made

Thew
@AmazingThew

there's a lot I could do to improve the first number but still: lmao

Thew
@AmazingThew

pandemic update: each day I get up and write computer programs until the sun sets and then I close that laptop and open a different laptop and then I place rocks into circles for six hours and then I go to bed

Thew
@AmazingThew

Thew
@AmazingThew

np

Thew
@AmazingThew

my entire party just hit level 100

I haven't fought the final boss yet

Thew
@AmazingThew

I haven't been grinding or anything this game's XP curve is just busted lol