the Twarchive

This is a record of a twitter thread, originally posted in 2017

Thew
@AmazingThew

Mania is reminding me how much of Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the devs just straight-up showing off

Thew
@AmazingThew

Stuff like the spinning record-platter platforms is just ridiculous. "CHECK IT NERDS we drew an entire 360° spin anim for every character"

Thew
@AmazingThew

Nearly every single tile in Carnival Night and Death Egg is animated. Whole screen's pulsing and moving even when you're standing still

Thew
@AmazingThew

The psuedo-3D tricks for the bonus stages stand out ofc but even the parallax effects in some of the backgrounds are absurdly sophisticated

Thew
@AmazingThew

Game used vertical parallax in addition to horizontal; the camera moves *through* the water plane in Hydrocity and Launch Base

Thew
@AmazingThew

Except the Genesis couldn't do affine xforms so instead of SNES's Mode 7 stretching, they faked a 3D plane with just TONS of parallax layers

Thew
@AmazingThew

Launch Base has a whole 3D world in the background made entirely of 2D parallax. You see different parts of it based on camera altitude

Thew
@AmazingThew

There are a million other tiny details that amount to just totally unnecessary polish for its own sake

Thew
@AmazingThew

Like: All the zones have a clear spatial relationship to one another. You never just teleport to the next level; there's always a transition

Thew
@AmazingThew

(I mean, with the exception of the literal teleporter to Sky Sanctuary, lol)

Thew
@AmazingThew

Knuckles knocks you off waterfall from Angel Island to Hydrocity, geyser then shoots to Marble Garden, boss fight flies to Carnival Night

Thew
@AmazingThew

Death egg falls out of the sky at the end of Launch Base, eventually Sandopolis > Lava Reef > Hidden Palace leads you to its crash site

Thew
@AmazingThew

whole thing's just incredibly detailed along so many axes

Thew
@AmazingThew

Oh hey for a visual example, Mania's version of Hydrocity uses the same parallax trick for the water surface:

Thew
@AmazingThew

The water isn't a textured plane, it's a huge number of rows of narrow parallax sprites, sorted back-to-front

Thew
@AmazingThew

Plug Without Shame: Aerobat's bg art uses the exact same trick bc I wanted to do this ever since I played Hydrocity:

Thew
@AmazingThew

Making art out of stacked parallax layers like this is SUPER fun. Basically paint a level & then set all the PS layers to appropriate depths

Thew
@AmazingThew

Took forever but found some gameplay that shows what I meant re: Launch Base Zone's background. Same trick as Hydrocity taken even further:

Thew
@AmazingThew

Transition from sky to cliffs/horizon to underwater is handled entirely via parallax. Note the clouds all sit at diff parallax depths too

Thew
@AmazingThew

Not shown in this clip: There's a whole section of world further underwater too. Go down far enough and there're a bunch of building ruins